Wednesday

NEW YEAR'S "RESOLUTIONIZING" - ARE WE THERE YET?

Christmas was simple this year. The macaroni wreaths and salt dough snowmen my sons made in kindergarten nestled in our new, pre-lit tree. The fireplace mantle was clear of the usual glittery drape of ribbon and stars. Instead, a few sprigs of gold eucalyptus lay on the hearth. Sitting on the couch, after only an hour of decorating instead of five, I wasn't drowning in the visual chaos of crimson and sparkle. No one was disappointed either. My sons only cared that I was still embarrassing them with front-branch displays of their creations.

So, what was different this year? Lack of time? Fewer funds? Sagging spirit? Energy deficiency? Not really. These things mingle in my life at times like the revolving backdrop to a stage play - just like they do for everyone. The simple holiday decor was, honestly, my escape from clutter on the other side of the wall. Yes - too much stuff and too little of it organized - I needed an escape. And so my New Year's resolution came to be: NO MORE CLUTTER!

Well, I've heard that one before. I'd love to say that my clutter has only accumulated this past year. Unfortunately, it's a lot like the Bermuda grass we have growing in our yard - it quickly takes root, it infiltrates areas you don't want it to, and it's nearly impossible to get rid of. No, this creeping clutter was sown a long time ago. What's different this time, however, is that it's affecting my well-being. It slows me down and robs me of valuable energy. My "being" doesn't feel so well. Enough said.

So, there you have it. A simplified Christmas to - well - pave the way to a more simplified life. My resolution is confirmed, and I am determined. But I also know that determination is not enough to get the job done. I have come up with some strategies that are a blend of my more successful personal and professional experiences. Here's what I recommend:

FOCUS ON ONE RESOLUTION

There is something inherently cleansing about making a list of 150 New Year's resolutions. The euphoria that comes from listing them almost substitutes for actually doing them. BUT - the long list is equally demoralizing when your list's cross-outs fall way short of your expectations. Your deflated self-confidence is proportionate to your initial zealousness. So, limit - hard as it may be - your resolutions to just ONE.

TAKE INVENTORY

In order to understand that which you are trying to change, you must first take a hard look at it. What IS the issue? Break it down like a high school student dissecting a fish in biology class. Get to know its parts. Identify how this issue - like the fish - came to be. Parts of the issue may have developed and grown without your awareness. Each part, however, contributes significantly to the whole. So, it's time to examine your issue's parts and figure out why the "whole" is a problem in your life. It's time to get out your scalpel and tweezers and start exploring.

CREATE A PLAN COMPRISED OF SMALL STEPS

I don't know about you, but time is as elusive these days as is my memory. I refuse to attribute either one to aging; but I do think they have contributed to my issue of clutter - not having time to focus, think, and then cull what I no longer need. These small, manageable steps, then, are crucial to my "resolutionizing" success. I have broken down my plan into action steps that take less than an hour to complete. Again, large chunks of time are non-existent in my day-to-day life. Thus, my steps toward my goal must fit into my schedule and as often as possible if I am to make progress. EVERY step is important to the whole of the plan. That fish on the lab table in biology class couldn't exist without its teeny, tiny brain (and it IS small).

Keep the "resolutionizing" process simple. I can over-think, over-plan, and over-collect in my life because I tend to over-perform in general. But this process - if kept simple - will help me tackle a major hindrance in my life. I equate this process to my hikes in the mountains. I am most energized when the trails are free of debris. My momentum remains consistent, my stamina fuels me efficiently, and I reach my destination - one step at a time - feeling exuberant and successful. New Year's resolutionizing CAN be that way.

Now, where did I put that blank notebook I wanted to use to take inventory ...

No comments:

Post a Comment